Sunday, April 3, 2011

Biceps and Triceps


The majority of my time last week was spent learning about the biceps and triceps.  I’m beginning to notice that our classroom coarse work moves at a rapid pace.  In some cases, I feel like we are moving to fast.  I would like to spend more time on individual components rather then moving onto different features every class.  I do understand that there are several components to the human body, and to understand all these features in a semester forces us to move quickly.  During this past week I was having trouble drawing and connecting all the features we’ve learned about this semester.  I think I’m going to attend the open drawing sessions again to work on my problematic areas.  An area I was having issues with last class with the muscles in the back and chest.  I find it challenging to find and accurately depict these muscles and also to be able to create contour lies to show their definition.  Maybe I could try moving closer to the model to be able to see the muscles more in depth.
The bicep is a two-headed muscle that is located on the upper portion of the arm.  Both muscle heads join together to form a single muscle belly that attaches to the upper forearm.  The biceps cross both the elbow and the shoulder joints.  Its main functions are to supinate the forearm and flex the elbow.
The triceps are a three-headed muscle that is located on the posterior side of the upper forearm.  Its main function is to allow the extension of the elbow joint. They can also fixate the elbow joint when the forearm and hand are used for movements like writing.  The three bundles of muscles all join together at the elbow and are antagonist to the biceps.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree on moving too quickly, it would be nice to slow down but we have so much to learn its hard not to.

    ReplyDelete