Sunday, February 27, 2011

This past week, I experienced some struggles and frustration during a hour-long gesture drawing.  I had a strange angle on the model, and with a full classroom space for relocation wasn’t possible.  At the half way mark of my drawing, I decided that it would be beneficial for me to start over.  So I proceeded to erase my entire drawing.  I didn’t want to start on a fresh page because I still wanted to see my pervious mistakes.  I was having some problems with the perspective and foreshortening.  Sometimes being frustrated and trying to figure something out is a good learning experience. Toward the end of my drawing I began to make some progress, but class came to an end.  I would have been able to develop a nice drawing if I had more time to fix my mistakes.  I’m going to try to attend the open life drawing session this week to get some more practice and some longer drawings.  After thinking about my mistakes, I now believe it went into the drawing way to controlled and worried about getting everything perfect.  I should have done some short gesture drawings to get a better idea the models angles.  I also think that I was working to small.  In a way, I sabotaged myself before the drawing even began.  I now know to loosen up, work large, and not be afraid to make mistakes.


EXAMPLE OF GOOD FORESHORTENING 

 Its hard for me to believe, but its already midterm time.  I need to start putting together my life drawing portfolio. This is another reason why I need to attend an open drawing session.  For my midterm portfolio I need 10 gesture drawings from a variety to time lengths.  I also need to photography my manikin from different perspectives. This will all be photographed and uploaded to my blog with a written reflection. 

1 comment:

  1. I understand how drawing can be frustrating, I have had many frustrations. It would be nice to see your drawings though.

    ReplyDelete