Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Midterm


It’s officially midterm, and that means it’s time for me to reflect upon the semester.  Life drawing has been a good learning experience; I have experienced both successes and failures.  I’ve noticed a great deal of improvement in my drawing skills and understanding of the human body.  I’m now able to see the curvature of the spine, shape of the rib cage, and placement of the hips in a matter of seconds (Drawing 1).  Prior to this semester, I had very little understanding on how to draw the human body.  This was because I didn’t understanding the basic curvature and shapes that exist throughout the body.  This visualization skill has been the foundation to my learning experience.  Learning and understanding these principles has allowed me to create longer drawings that accurately portray the proportions of a human (Drawing 8).  Aside from my successes, I have also experience several challenges.  I’ve noticed that when I begin a longer drawing, it’s sometimes hard for me to create an accurate perspective.  I have also had some difficultly creating foreshortening within my drawings.  It’s a skill that I’m beginning to understand, but still find very difficult (Drawing 9).  I attended an open life drawing session recently, and found the outside drawing time to be beneficial to my learning experience.  It was nice to be able to work at my own pace and move around the room until I got a good view of the model.  I foresee myself attending these in the near future.

As I look forward to the second half of the semester there are still some things that I want to learn.  I look forward to learning how to draw hands, feet, and the face.  I typical leave these out of my drawings because I don’t feel as though I have the knowledge to accurately depict them.  I believe class lectures and building the manikin will help me develop a better understanding of these features.  Overall I have learned a lot this semester and look forward to what the future has to offer.


2 comments:

  1. I would like to learn how to draw hands and feet as well, but Im somewhat afraid because they are so difficult to draw. I hope there are some easy techniques we will learn to draw accurate models of hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problems with hands and feet, and with the foreshortening also, but it seems like you are really starting to grasp all the concepts in the class : )

    ReplyDelete